- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey. This book is great for teaching essential time management and project management skills. The first time I read it (back when my kids were in elementary school) it changed my life and I read it every 1-2 years just to brush up on my time management skills and to remind me what is productive and what is just busy work.
- The 360 Degree Leader by John C. Maxwell. Anything written by John Maxwell is educational but I find this particular book gives a very good view of leading from any level and can be applied to everyone.
- Fish! A remarkable way to boost morale and improve results by Steven Lundin. This book is easy to understand and has great ways to create a team within a business.
- The Big Moo! By Seth Godin. We are all marketers of our lab, whether we are actuallyout marketing or simply part of the leadership of the facility. This book gives some great ideas about marketing and customer service as well as getting the customer to be your best marketer. Again anything you read by Seth is exceptional.
- The 9 Things a Leader Must Do by Dr Henry Cloud. This is the book I have not read yet but it was recommended to me by my mentor. The reason I add this is because I trust my mentor’s suggestions and because I wanted to remind new leaders that seeking out a mentor to help you during your growth is essential.
Make sure as a new leader that you take the time for your own improvement so you can continue to grow in your new position. This little bit of time every day will help.
If anyone has other books to recommend please let me know. I love to read and am always looking for a great book.